Jules

The Cult of Me
Michael Brookes
Orlando
Virginia Woolf
On the Edge - Ilona Andrews I just loved this book. I thought it was very well-written, and though I would have liked a bit less "sandalwood," on the whole I was completely engaged.

I really loved how the author/s made the mundane world of the "Broken" so completely foreign. A deft trick to make the existence of Walmart and Burger King and the absence of magic seem so strange and far from the actually magical and bizarre world Rose inhabits, the Edge.

Rose was a great mix of strength and quiet despair, of love, generosity, and wounded, sarcastic bird. I really liked her a lot, and I loved that she didn't just fall for Declan's line. Her backstory was heartbreaking and humiliating and masterfully informed all of her choices and reactions. I thought she was realistic and real and I really pulled for her throughout the story. She didn't annoy me once! (This was a huge relief after on the torture I just put myself through with the written Sookie Stackhouse, who I wanted to SMACK over and over, then ignore.)

George and Jack were adorable and very sharply and well drawn. Not too cute, not too precocious, not perfect or completely ornery, just pretty normal little boys with huge gifts, who have a real relationship with each other, with their sister, and with their grandmother.

The story grabbed me from the first paragraph and didn't let go. I can't say much more than: I loved it!