Jules

The Cult of Me
Michael Brookes
Orlando
Virginia Woolf

The Malfeasance Occasional: Girl Trouble (a CriminalElement.com original collection) - Various, Clare Toohey Overall it was ok. Not fantastic, but some of the stories stood out in a good way. I liked 'Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter' until the end, and enjoyed the style of 'Her Haunted House,' though I thought it was a bit predictable. 'Benign' was my favorite until the end of the story. I mean, ending a story with the narrator getting shot is fine, but I'd like to know what happens AFTER the shooting. The person is obviously still alive or they'd not be able to tell their story, right? I find it annoying, maybe because so MANY short stories seem to employ that kind of ending. Actually, my own short story may do that, too. I will have to check.

'Incident on the 405' was very well done, and I did NOT hate the ending. It was my favorite until I got to Chuck Wendig's 'Birds of Paradise.' That ended up being my favorite (kind of knew it would be/was the reason I bought the collection). I'm already a fan of Miriam Black (cannot wait for 'The Cormorant') and so having this little vignette involving Miriam was nice. I wonder if there will be a call back to the incident described in the new book...?

Anyway, I'm pretty "eh" on the whole thing. I don't read a lot of short stories or short story collections, so I don't know if this is the norm, but I expected more.